New Zealand's Mayan Smith-Gobat
Climbing "lifer" Mayan Smith-Gobat is one of New Zealand's top climbers. She has dedicated her life to climbing and is currently touring Europe in her van enjoying the endless climbing opportunities.
After spending most of 2008 rehabilitating an injured knee at her home in New Zealand, Mayan returned to Europe this spring with new and refreshed energy for climbing.
Recently in southern France she made quick work of many 5.13's and added to her growing collection of 5.14a’s, with the newest being Collection Automne Hiver, a proud line in the massive cave “La Baline” at a very recently developed sector at Saint Leger Du Ventoux. The La Baline cave features some incredible 40 meter, steep, stamina routes. Mayan will continue climbing in Europe this summer, with thr underlying goal of increasing her fitness for a trip to Yosemite this fall, where she hopes to free-climb a route on El Capitan.
Mayan is also a pro on skis and has competed in many Big Mountain Extreme skiing competitions, but after an accident in 2000, that required her to be on crutches for 6 months, she began climbing seriously in 2001.
Below is a list of some of her most proud accomplishments:
- 2008: First ascent of 8b and 8b+ routes (Grade 32), Heaven/ Little Babylon, Milford, NZ.
- 2007: First NZ woman to onsight 8a (Grade 29) Collisium (8a), Rodellar, Spain.
- 2007: First NZ woman to climb 8b+ (Grade 32) ~ Geminis (8b+), Rodellar, Spain.
- 2006: First Free ascent of Shadowland 7c (300m) Darrans, NZ.
- 2006: First ascents on several of the biggest rock faces in NZ.
- 2005: First Woman to climb 8a+ (Grade 30) in NZ.
- 2005: Won the Christchurch Indoor Bouldering Series.
- 2005: Third Place, Oceania Sport Climbing Championships, Australia.
- 2003: First Woman to Boulder V8 in NZ.
- 2003: First Woman to climb 8a (Grade 29) in NZ.
- 2003: Achieved first Female assent of many hard routes and boulder problems around NZ.
- 2002: Won the NZ National Bouldering Series, consecutively for the next three years.
- 2000: Won the Chill Series, Extreme Skiing, NZ and was ranked as the best Female Big Mountain Free-Skier in NZ.
Visit: www.mayanclimbs.com for more.