Americans Bag Unclimbed Patagonian Peak
News Link: Dave Turner and Mark Matthews completed the probable first ascent of a small granite tower in the Paine region of Chilean Patagonia. The two climbed Gemelo Alto in the French Valley, via a 10-pitch route called Adios Ayer (5.10-, 400m). See Turner’s account of this climb and an attempt on Cerro Fortaleza at Supertopo.com. The Californian’s primary objective for this season is a solo new route on the enormous south face of the South Tower of Paine.
Date of Ascent: December 2008
Sources: Dave Turner, Supertopo.com.
- Nine Dead from Avalanche on Mont Blanc
- Freed from the Undertow (5.11+) on CO's Black Wall
- Barking Mad: RRG's Madness Cave in a Day
- Puigblanque Snags Second Ascent of Catxasa (5.15a)
- Pringle Makes FA of 5.14d in Nevada