Argentinian Climbs Spanish 9a (5.14d)
News Link: Danilo Pereyra of Argentina has become the first Latin American climber to send the grade of 9a or 5.14d.
On April 8th the 26-year-old redpointed Supernowa at roadside crag Vadiello, near Huesca, in the Natural Reserve of Sierra y Cañones de Guara of northern Spain for the second ascent of the route. According to 8a.nu Daniel Moreno made the first ascent of this route. The limestone crag Vadiello contains a number of other hard routes most notably is Poweraide (8c+) which Josune Bereziatru made an ascent of in February of 2007.
Read about the redpoint (in Spanish) and see more photos on Danilo Pereyra's blog.
Date of Ascent: April 8, 2009
Sources: Danilo Pereyra, 8a.nu
- Climbing Launches iPad Edition
- The Nose Sees a New Female Speed Record
- Florine, Honnold Set New Nose Speed Record
- El Capitan Sees First All-Disabled Ascent
- Honnold, Florine Poised to Break Nose Speed Record