Japanese Complete Coveted North Face of Kalanka
News Link: Japanese climbers Kazuaki Amano, Fumitaka Ichimura, and Yusuke Sato have climbed the north face of Kalanka (6,931 meters/22,740 feet) in India’s Garhwal Himalaya. The face’s central spur had seen several strong attempts, including three by teams with American climbers. This month, the Japanese trio’s alpine-style ascent of the 6,000-foot route won the Asian Piolet d’Or. See Lindsay Griffin’s report at the BMC website for more details and a photo of the face.
- Graham Repeats V15, Makes V14 FA
- French Score Two Major Alaskan Routes
- Robinson Snags V14, V15 in RMNP
- RRG’s Muir Valley: Help Keep it Open
- Matilda Söderlund: Two 5.13d Onsights in a Day