Sean Leary Killed in BASE Accident

Courtesy of Seanstanleyleary.com.

3/24/14 - Sean "Stanley" Leary died in a BASE-jumping accident in or near Zion National Park, Utah, on March 13. Leary was due home yesterday, and when he failed to return a search was organized and his body was discovered.

Though rarely in the spotlight, Leary was widely regarded as one of the most talented Yosemite climbers of his generation. He had climbed El Capitan dozens of times and set the speed record for climbing the Salathé Wall, with Alex Honnold, in 2009. He also set a new speed record on the Nose, with Dean Potter, in 2010 (broken in 2012 by Hans Florine and Honnold). That same year, he climbed three El Capitan routes in a day with Honnold. In 2012, he and Mayan Smith-Gobat set the mixed male-female speed record for the Nose.

Like many great Yosemite climbers before him, Leary took his skills to big walls and peaks around the world. He had done new routes and first free ascents in Patagonia, Baffin Island, Venezuela, and Antarctica, where he joined a British team in early 2013 to complete a 35-pitch new route on Ulvetanna, one of the world's most dramatic summits.

Leary also was a top wingsuit flyer, opening numerous "exits" around North America. He had flown from El Mocho in Patagonia and Mt. Asgard on Baffin Island, among other extreme jumps.

Leary, 38, worked as a rigger and film stuntman. He was married in 2010, and his wife, Mieka, is pregnant with their child.

Sources: Seanstanleyleary.com, Facebook.com/sean.leary.355, Desnivel.com

Comments

He seemed like a top bloke (as we say in the UK). I'm thankful I have some of his epic climbs on DVD to continually act as inspiration. A true talent, a man who lived life as it should be lived and he seemed like a true gent. My thoughts are with his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Adam Troman - 05/09/2014 3:48:51

He seemed like a great man. I didn't know him, but found this story through a NatGeo Instagram post. Death is the inevitable truth we'll all have to face, but it's always too soon. I pray nothing but good health and a healthy future for his loved ones and people affected. It truly sounds like he loved his life.

Amber - 04/14/2014 2:10:09

Sean was so rad and cool, he is such a legend.! What an amazing source of inspiration and strength he will be to his child.

Airlie - 03/27/2014 4:02:12

Death is nothing at all I have only slipped away into the next room I am I and you are you Whatever we were to each other That we are still Call me by my old familiar name Speak to me in the easy way you always used Put no difference into your tone Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow Laugh as we always laughed At the little jokes we always enjoyed together Play, smile, think of me, pray for me Let my name be ever the household word that it always was Let it be spoken without effort Without the ghost of a shadow in it Life means all that it ever meant It is the same as it ever was There is absolute unbroken continuity What is death but a negligible accident? Why should I be out of mind Because I am out of sight? I am waiting for you for an interval Somewhere very near Just around the corner All is well. Nothing is past; nothing is lost One brief moment and all will be as it was before How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again! Canon Henry Scott-Holland, 1847-1918 Peace and love to the family and friends

JP - 03/26/2014 11:05:12

I am sorry to not have known this man. To all those that did, give yourself the gift of time to heal.

Brad - 03/26/2014 4:19:12

In 2002, Sean took me to do my first lead ever on "Pine Line" at the base of El Cap. At one point, I asked him "Can I take a hang and rest a bit? I am tired" "Not on your first lead, Jen. You can do it". So I went on and finished the climb in a perfect style. I told everyone the story whenever we climb "Pine Line" since then. Sean inspired me to push harder. Yet he is such a humble and genuine person. Sean, you don't need to rest now. Fly, fly high and far... You were and will always be better than most of us, here and in Heaven...You lived big, you loved deeply, now you will live in our hearts forever...

Jennifer Wang - 03/26/2014 1:50:41

This has devastated our family, I am heartbroken, Honestly I think I may still be in shock, unable to wrap my brain around the fact he's actually gone. Sean was/is an epic soul! It warms my heart to see all that knew and loved my brother and all the kind words. He was very much a hero, especially to his nieces and nephews. I want to thank you for all the love shown here. Also I would like to thank those f you that are so bord with your oun lives that you thought it be clever to pick on a dead man. Did you know him by any chance? I'm willing to bet that non of you have the testicular fortitude to walk in a funeral and talk such ugly nonsense face to face with mourning loved ones. Non the less, thank you for simply existing, for without you ugly,twisted,selfish folks this big beautiful earth wouldn't have the much needed balance. And thank you again, because knowing my brother like I do, he would find your ignorance, narcissism and babble humerus and sad. Hope you get that hug you are so desperately begging for! To everyone else, much live and bless you!

Angelia Schlegel - 03/26/2014 10:53:55

Sean was a kind and caring individual by nature. He was an intellectual, courageous and a good friend to those who were lucky enough to know him. I respect Sean for the life he lived. Even Eagles fall from their nest. All of us who knew him will love and cherish his child. Sean's home town will miss him and love his family and baby with open arms. Rest in peace friend.

Home town local - 03/25/2014 10:28:01

One of my favorite memories is of Thanksgiving a few years back. It was a somewhat random gathering of people, including Sean, Mika, and I. I barely knew them or some of the other guests going into the day and didn't know what to expect. The day lives in my memory as representing the meaning of Thanksgiving - to open your heart and give thanks for everything - for good food, for your close friends, and for members of your community who may live on the edges to your day to day life, but that you come to realize are beautiful, kind, loving beings. Thank you for that memory Sean and Mika.

Marya Carr - 03/25/2014 9:26:13

Having known Sean all his life, I can say he did life to the fullest! He loved life! It is tragic his life was cut short and sad for his family and friends. However, he did more in his 38 years than many people ever dream of doing. Will miss your smile Sean and all the stories your family shares about you. I know you will be watching over your family.

Ginger Rolf - 03/25/2014 4:17:51

Sounds to me like Base Jumping technology needs a boost...a little redundancy in case the chute doesn't open properly. Perhaps a ballistic drogue chute in case of primary failure...

Kevin - 03/25/2014 2:12:23

He was one of few left who was genuinely kind and will be missed. A light went out in the world and it will be darker without it.

justin - 03/25/2014 1:36:15