Black Diamond's Forge and Cold Forge Hoodies are great option for anyone looking for a packable and warm alpine layer or a bomber belay jacket for cold days. They are quite comfy puffies. The primary difference between the Forge and Cold Forge is in the insulation. The Forge is filled with 700-fill, DWR-treated goose down, while the Cold Forge is filled with PrimaLoft Gold Down Blend (70% goose down of 700+ fill power, 30% synthetic). Due to the synthetic insulation, the Cold Forge will keep you warmer when wet.
Today both jackets are on sale at blackdiamondequipment.com. Women get the best deal with 55% off previous years' designs, but all of the jackets are at least 25% off. Note: Can't find your size? Try a different color.
- Cold Forge Down Hoody (Fall 2016, L and XL only)—$135 (regularly $299)
- Cold Forge Down Hoody (Spring 2017, L and XL only)—$135 (regularly $299)
- Cold Forge Down Hoody (Spring 2018, L only)—$135 (regularly $299)
- Forge Down Hoody—$150 (regularly $199)
- Cold Forge Down Hoody—$225 (regularly $299)