Given the rapidly developing coronavirus situation in the US and Canada, and indeed the world, we here at SCARPA North America (SNA) wanted to give you some updates about our current state of business and evolving protocols. Our top priority is ensuring the safety and wellness of our employees, colleagues and partners, and also taking a proactive and responsible approach to helping in global containment efforts.
First, regarding the situation with SCARPA Italy. As you know, the situation is very serious there, and they are taking proactive measures country-wide to help contain and manage the virus. Production at SCARPA Italy is currently suspended until March 20, at which time they expect to return. The shipping department there is still operating and shipping finished products, however. The office staff is working under a combination of in-office and remote office protocol. This could result in some delays in communication, and possible shipping delays of up to 3-4 weeks after they restart production, potentially affecting some April and May deliveries. SCARPA North America does warehouse product here in Boulder and also at NRI in Canada, so we have buffer stock on many carryover products. As always, the sales team will communicate with retailers and consumers on each order on a case-by-case basis if we are expecting specific product delays as we get more information.
Here at SNA, we are currently fully functional while working remotely, and will be putting specific protocols and plans in place for the SNA distribution team. There are a couple of immediate steps that we are implementing that I can share with you now.
- Effective immediately, we have suspended both in-person order pick-up, as well as in-person drop-off of items (whether warranty, repair or recall) here at SNA. Anything in the queue currently we are shipping at our expense.
- Effective immediately, we are suspending all SCARPA event participation until April 15, at which time we will re-assess the situation based upon the latest advice and expertise from health officials.
This includes the suspension of climbing shoe demos at local gyms.
It is clear that decisive and proactive action is need to combat this pandemic. We have and will continue to give the absolute highest priority to the health and safety of our employees, colleagues and local and global community as we work together to get through this.
Thanks for your understanding.
SCARPA North America