The Tooth Traverse: In Their Own Words

Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.

Renan Ozturk and Freddie Wilkinson on the summit of the Bear Tooth during this year’s successful Tooth Traverse, above the Ruth Gorge of Alaska.…
Renan Ozturk and Freddie Wilkinson on the summit of the Bear Tooth during this year’s successful Tooth Traverse, above the Ruth Gorge of Alaska. Photo by Camp 4 Collective

The first section of the climb, from Cavity Gap to the summit of the Sugar Tooth, consisted mainly of low-angle mixed climbing interspersed with a few challenging rock pitches and rappels: nothing too desperate, but certainly deceptive. The amount of transitions the terrain demanded—from boots and crampons to rock shoes to boots and crampons to a rappel, ad nauseum—made for slow going.

For the first three days of the climb, we stopped around 6 p.m. (quite early for Alaska climbing), dug out a comfortable bivy, and relaxed. This was our vacation, after all.

On day two, we climbed the Talkeetna Standard to the summit of the Eye Tooth. Although the original ascensionists, Jeff Hollenbaugh and Steve House, gave the route a modest grade, it has since rebuffed a number of suitors. In the conditions we faced, we found eight pitches or so of mixed climbing, followed by a couple of short but significant rock leads. On day three, we traversed a heavily corniced ridge toward the summit of the Bear’s Tooth, also summiting an alluring peak along the way we had dubbed the Missing Tooth.

On day four, the nature of our adventure changed completely. Vacation was over. We summited the Bear’s Tooth by nine in the morning, rappelled the White Russian Route, and traversed the large snowfield to the start of the technical pitches on the Swamp Donkey Express, a route we had established in 2010, with Zack Smith. (Note: this section of the climb is the only place where we deviated notably from the crest of the ridge.) The first rock lead took Renan two hours—we suddenly felt the absence of Zack, who had originally led this pitch. I took over the sharp end for the one true aid section of the entire traverse, the Bleeder Pitch. Above, snow and icy cracks slowed me even more. We eventually summited the Moose’s Tooth around 11 p.m. The west ridge of the Moose’s Tooth, our descent route, beckoned, and we decided to push on into the night. Six hours, three mixed leads, and three horizontal ridge rappels later, we stopped for a brew stop on the West Summit as the sun rose over the eastern Alaska Range. Six hours after that, we stopped again on the West Shoulder of the Tooth. Six hours after that, we stumbled out onto the Ruth Glacier, having rappelled and glissaded down a seldom-used couloir to deposit us safe and sound back on the gorge floor.

Our only regret was that Zack Smith, with whom we had shared this dream for four years, was unable to join the final effort. That aside, the Tooth Traverse remains one of the most challenging and fulfilling mountain adventures we’ve ever had.”

See a short video with scenes from the first two attempts on the Tooth Traverse here.

Dates of ascent: May 17-22, 2012

Source: Freddie Wilkinson


Film: How Matt Cornell Free Soloed One of America’s Classic Hard Mixed Routes

"The Nutcracker" explores the mental challenges of solo climbing and the tactics Cornell used to help him send the route.