Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
With none of the grit of freshly mixed protein powder and the taste and consistency of pumpkin pie filling, this snack is like giving yourself a pat on the back after completing a hard workout. With over 20 grams of protein combined and simple carbs this easy-to-digest, high-water-content snack will quickly refuel your depleted glycogen stores and promote muscle recovery after a long day outside or mid-week training session.
- ½ cup canned or fresh pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons 1% milk*
- 2 tablespoons plain whole milk yogurt*
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-2 scoops of your favorite vanilla protein powder (aim for 20 grams of protein)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
*Any type of milk (almond, soy, dairy, etc.) and any type of yogurt (low fat, Greek, soy) will work, but products that include a few grams of fat will help you absorb fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K in the pumpkin, milk, and yogurt.
- Mix all ingredients in a small Tupperware container and stir until fully combined.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Note: Pre-make pudding the night before to allow the protein powder to fully dissolve, creating a thicker, creamier texture.
Nutrition Information (1 batch):
Energy: 300 cal • Fat: 5g • Carbs: 47g • Protein: 22.5g • Fiber: 8g • Sodium: 74mg