Pre-packed meal replacement bars are convenient, but, calorie-for-calorie, they're expensive. Worse, they're often loaded with preservatives: How else could they last for months squished in the side pockets of our backpacks without molding? Save money without sacrificing convenience with these ready-in-five-minutes, real-food bars. They freeze great and stay fresh for a week when refrigerated, so it's easy to "stock up" by making a double batch.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: dash of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender, and puree until mixture begins to stick together. If necessary, add an additional tablespoon of water.
- Remove mixture and kneed together into one large mass. On a cutting board or wax paper, use a rolling pin or your hands to form dough into a large rectangle.
- Slice into 12 bars and refrigerate for up to a week. Bars can also be frozen for up to three months.
- Optional: Roll bars in additional shredded coconut.
Nutrition (per bar):
Energy: 142 cal • Fat: 8.5g • Carbs: 16.5g • Protein: 3.5g • Fiber: 2g • Sodium: 10mg