It's tempting to swing by your local bakery for a sweet treat on the way to the crag or before an early-morning training session, but the blood-sugar spike and subsequent crash from low-fiber, sugary muffins, and breads will leave you shaking and snacking an hour later. Instead, try this delicious fiber-rich, 100-percent whole grain twist on the classic banana bread recipe for long-lasting energy in a healthy comfort-food package. Each slice packs nearly 20 percent of your daily fiber along with 6 grams of protein. You'll also skip the saturated fat in traditional butter-filled baked goods, without sacrificing taste or moisture.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl, and beat together until fully combined.
- Pour dough into a large, greased and floured bread pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Tip: Top with peanut butter or cream cheese for a delicious sandwich.
Nutrition (Per 1 slice, 1/12 of loaf)
Energy: 186 cal • Fat: 3g • Carbs: 36g • Protein: 6g • Fiber: 5g • Sodium: 500 mg