Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
Around 1970 an athletic, blonde teenager named John Bachar started showing up at Stoney Point. On his way to becoming the greatest free climber of his generation, Bachar spent his formative years at the Point learning all he could from local pro’s like Bob Kamps and Jim Wilson. Other legends like John Long, Lynn Hill, and John “Yabo” Yablonski also frequented Stoney Point during this time to hone the skills that would later make them Stonemasters.
Watch the full Stoney Point documentary:
- Stoney Point: Portrait of an American Crag—Welcome to The Point (Part 1)
- Stoney Point: Portrait of an American Crag—The Pioneers (Part 2)
- Stoney Point: Portrait of an American Crag—The Stonemasters (Part 3)
- Stoney Point: Portrait of an American Crag—Boldness Redefined (Part 4)
- Stoney Point: Portrait of an American Crag—The Future Of The Point (Part 5)